Hello from New York City! Tonight I'll be addressing the Cloud Foundry User Group on how to build Spring Boot and Spring Cloud-based microservices that run on Cloud Foundry - I hope you'll join us! And if you're in Boston, then come hang out when I give the same talk there on Thursday!
- Spring Social lead and all around Spring ninja Craig Walls announced the Spring Sync project and then wrote up a nice introduction to it, which - this is taken from the post because it's perfectly stated there - addresses efficient communication between client applications and Spring backends by employing patch-based exchanges. So, basically, the one piece of the pie (after basic REST, HATEOAS and hypermedia, OAuth and security in general, all of which Spring supports capably and in a first-class way) missing in client/server communication (like REST) is now here! If you read one thing this week...
- Spring Batch lead Michael Minella just announced Spring Batch 3.0.2
- Spring Integration rockstar Artem Bilan just announced that Spring Integration 4.1 RC1 - complete with websocket adapters, routing slip-pattern support, JDK
Optional<T>support, Redis Queue gateways, a Reactor-based
PersistentQueueimplementation and a poller that can skip polls (and - whew! - much more!) is now available! Yah. That's amazing. I always wondered why we didn't hear much from the Spring Integration team -- they're busy!
- Not resting on his laurels after the Spring Integration release, Spring Integration and AMQP ninja Artem Bilan just announced the Spring AMQP 1.4 RC1 release which provides a declarative, annotation-based model for building message listener containers in the same style as the newly introduce annotation-component model in Spring framework for JMS, among many other things.
- Then, mark your calendars for the good Dr. Syer's webinar on Nov 4th introducing Security for Microservices with Spring and OAuth2
- Continuing the microservice webinar series on Nov 18, mark your calendars for Matt Stine and Donnie Berkholz from Redmonk Made for Each Other: Microservices + PaaS
- On Nov 20, join me and Adam Koblentz from the JRebel team to talk about JRebel 6.0 and Spring Boot!
- The 2nd replay in the microservice webinar series has been published! (The 1st one is here, by the way). So, don't miss Matt Stine's epic webinar: Architecting for Continuous Delivery: Microservices with Pivotal CF and Spring Cloud
- We've just published an updated introduction tutorial (as opposed to the very useful, but more narrowly focused Spring IO guides to building REST services with Spring. We're iterating on it already, and would welcome any feedback.
- Do you want to use Jade templates with Spring Boot? Check out this handy Spring Boot Jade starter!
- Check out Spring Data ninja Thomas Darimont's example Spring Boot and jOOQ example
- Spring Data lead Oliver Gierke's answered a few questions on Stack Overflow that I think are worth a read. First: why does the deployment of a Spring Boot application to a WebSphere 7 app server cause a ClassCastException? Then: Should I use Java 8 default methods for manually implemented Spring Data repository methods? Both are great reads, don't hesitate to check them out!
- Check out this Spring Boot application written using the Kotlin language
- Our pal Rafal Borowiec put together a nice post introducing his steps to get a simple Spring Boot application on Java 8 running on OpenShift. Spring Boot, of course, is as portable as can be, but his example used Java 8 which doesn't quite work the way you'd hope on OpenShift (yet), so he hit some bumps and was nice enough to chronicle all of them. Check it out!
- Our pal Toshiaki Maki put together an epic (Japanese language) post on the Spring Cloud configuration service . My Japanese is a bit rusty (ahem!), but it was informative even through Google Translate.. :D
- Friendly reminder: check out Groovy language project lead Guillaume LaForge's This Week in Groovy for all sorts of great Groovy and Groovy ecosystem awesomeness!