Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! We're all back from last week's epic SpringOne2GX 2014, but not resting on our laurels! As soon as I returned from SpringOne2GX, I set about preparing for this morning's webinar, Bootiful Microservices with Spring Boot. That seems to have really resonated well and this is, principally, because [Spring Boot](http://spring.io/projects/spring-boot) and Spring Cloud are awesome! I can't until all the amazing videos on the topic from SpringOne2GX and this webinar itself are available to share with you. To me it feels like a way for
- Spring for Android lead and mobile ninja Roy Clarkson announced Spring for Android 2.0.0.M1 has been released. The new release supports OkHttp (via the
OkHttpRequestFactory), updates the included
RestTemplate implementation to be on parity with the
RestTemplate included with the Spring framework (including support for marshalling responses with a
ParameterizedTypeReference). It raises the baseline to Android 2.2 (effectively), and includes numerous bug fixes and other improvements. This is the first new release in a long time - I'd recommend getting and trying these bits ASAP!
- I don't mean to tease, but you should at least read the good Dr. Syer and Spencer Gibb's slides to their Spring Cloud talk at SpringOne2GX. Great stuff.
- Spring Security lead Rob Winch has written up a nice post on using Spring Security with the Spring Session project and websockets. Basically, if you're using JSR 356 (the websocket JSR), it's possible to need access to the HTTP session only to have it expire because the web-socket API doesn't keep it alive or make access easy. It's now possible to fix all that!
- Speaking of Rob, a recording of a talk he gave - Spring Boot ... Tweeting Complete Spring Applications Since 2013 - is now available on InfoQ! Check it out!
- Did you miss last week's epic SpringOne2GX 2014? Have no fear! As usual, the videos will be available on Spring.io in a trickle over the next few months, and, in the meantime, you can read the day 1 and day 2 recap posts.
- ADTMag has a quick (albeit non-technical) news item on the recently released Spring framework 4.1
- I just happened upon this amazing interview of Spring framework lead Juergen Hoeller from QCon 2014 this year on all manner of topics. Really good interview!
- Nguyen Anh Tuan has an interesting post on how his group went about building a stateless and session-free, multi-tenant Spring Security implementation
- A promisingly named blog, TheSpringWay, has a nice post on the convenient Spring MVC 4.1 improvements to response-code handling. Did you know the historically slightly kludgy
ResponseEntity has a nice builder API now?
- the JavaCodeGeeks blog has a nice post on using Spring Batch with Spring Boot. It's an interesting post for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that it also captures a user's first steps in Java configuration (which runs rampant in Spring Boot).
- I had a lot of fun giving this morning's webinar. Join me next week for a webinar with my pal Joram Barrez on building process-centric Spring Boot and Activiti BPMN2 workflow engine!