Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! This week, I'm in Chicago, IL, for the spectacular GOTO conference, Chicago edition. If you're in the Chicago area, ping me on Twitter (@starbuxman). Cloud Foundry Summit just wrapped today as 1500 people came together to talk about the community and the technology. Spring made a strong showing, even getting a general session shoutout from James Watters for Spring Boot passing 1 Million downloads in April.
Now, without further ado..
- Spring Tool Suite ninja Kris De Volder just announced the new support for editing
.yml files in STS - this is particularly awesome if you're using Spring Boot!
- Spring IO lead and all-around mad-scientist Andy Wilkinson just released the Gradle dependency management plugin 0.5.1.RELEASE. This plugin brings the power of Maven's
dependencyManagement mechanism to Gradle and makes it easy to create consistent builds.
- Spring Integration lead Gary Russell just released Spring AMQP 1.4.5 and 1.5.0-M1. The 1.5 series introduces class-level
@RabbitListener annotations (not just method-level ones), auto-declared queues and bindings, configurable exchange/routing Key for replies, a
RabbitManagementTemplate which uses RabbitMQ's REST API bindings, not the hitherto supported Erlang-specific integrations.
- Did you get a chance to see my webinar on smarter service-to-service invocations with Spring Cloud? If not, check it out, it's online.
- Almost out of SpringOne2GX replays, this week's are out! Check out Owen Rubel talk about API Abstraction and API Chaining in Grails, Fabrice Matrat as he Dives into Single-Page Application with RaveJS and Grails, Hans Dockter gives you some roadmap on The Future of Gradle - The Ultimate Build System and our friends at JFrog Baruch Sadogursky and Frederic Simon talk about Writing AST Transformations - Get Practical in 90 minutes
- This following blog has very little to do with Spring, but I think it's super important. It's a post I put together that is meant to help the wayward student taking her or his first steps in computer science. I hope it's useful and would love feedback, if you've got something to add.
- Turkcell's Erdem Gunay, and our pal, is giving a webinar on June 9th explaining how Spring is used in Turkcell's personal cloud service.
- The Madrid Groovy User Group publishes their videos and the recent Spanish-language talk, by Pablo Alba, introduces websockets and Spring Boot.
- Niels Bech Nielsen's talk on Spring Boot for microservices looks pretty interesting
- Spring Data ninja Thomas Darimont's German-language talk on Spring XD is up and it looks mighty interesting! (Even if I don't particularly understand the language itself..)
- Spring Data lead Oliver Gierke's talk on Spring Cloud for the MicroExchange conference is also now up and available
- Daniel Maas put together a nice blog on intelligent microservice metrics with Spring Boot and Statsd