This Week in Spring - May 30th, 2023
Hi, Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! This installment I write on the day of my daughter's High School graduation, an auspicious day indeed! There's a lot to get through this week, though, and I have a graduation to get to, so let's dive right in!
- Spring Authorization Server is on Spring Initializr! This is my favorite technical news of the week, by far! I loved it so much that I even invited its author, Steve Riesenberg, on my little show. He and I (well, mostly him) did an awesome live demo setting up an Authorization Server, a Resource server, and OAuth OIDC client with login support. We did it all from scratch using Spring Boot 3.1, too! Check this out!
- Spring Cloud 2022.0.3 (aka Kilburn) Is Available
- A Bootiful Podcast: Java Developer Advocate Billy Korando on the latest and greatest in Java
Spring Cloud 2022.0.3 (aka Kilburn) Is Available
On behalf of the community, I am pleased to announce that the General Availability (RELEASE) of the Spring Cloud 2022.0.3 Release Train is available today. The release can be found in Maven Central. You can check out the 2022.0.3 release notes for more information.
Notable Changes in the 2022.0.3 Release Train
This release provides compatibility with Spring Boot 3.1.x.
See all issues and pull requests for this release here.
There is a known defect in Spring Cloud Config related to locating the config server via service discovery. In order to activate this feature in this release you will need to set
spring.cloud.config.discovery.serviceId in an…
A Bootiful Podcast: Java Developer Advocate Billy Korando on the latest and greatest in Java
Hi, Spring fans! In this installment, Josh Long (@starbuxman) talks to Java Developer Advocate Billy Korando, recorded live from the amazing Spring I/O show in Barcelona, Spain!
Spring Shell 2.1.10, 3.0.4 and 3.1.0 are now available
Spring Shell 2.1.10, 3.0.4 and 3.1.0 are now available
On behalf of the team and everyone who has contributed, I'm happy to announce that Spring Shell
3.1.0 has been released and are now available from Maven Central.
Please see the release notes 2.1.10, release notes 3.0.4 and release notes 3.1.0 for more details.
Thanks to all those who have contributed with issue reports and pull requests.
How can you help?
Spring Security Kerberos 2.0.0-RC2 available now
I'm happy to announce that a Spring Security Kerberos
2.0.0-RC2 milestone is now available via https://repo.spring.io/milestone. This release candidate were created because project upgraded to use recently released
Spring Authorization Server is on Spring Initializr!
Today, I'm excited to announce that you have a new superpower: creating applications with Spring Authorization Server on Spring Initializr!
That's right, it's time to begin your OAuth2 journey and become the hero you always knew you could be! In this post, I'll explain how you can get the most from your new superpower and where to go to learn more.
What is Spring Authorization Server?
Spring Authorization Server is an open-source framework built on top of Spring Security that allows you to create your own standards-based OAuth2 Authorization Server or OpenID Connect Provider. It implements…
Unleash Spring apps in a flex environment with Azure Spring Apps Consumption and Dedicated plans
In March, we introduced the Consumption pricing plan for Azure Spring Apps allowing you to start from zero and scale to zero vCPU. Today, we are thrilled to announce the public preview of the Standard Dedicated plan! The Standard Dedicated plan provides a fully managed, dedicated environment for running Spring applications on Azure. This plan offers you customizable compute options (including memory-optimized), single tenancy, and high availability to help you achieve price predictability, cost savings, and performance for running Spring applications at scale.
In 2019, Microsoft and Pivotal (now VMware) announced Azure Spring Apps, a fully managed service for Spring apps. We set out to solve many of the common challenges enterprise developers face when running Spring apps at scale. The service manages dynamic scaling, security patching, out-of-the-box instrumentation for monitoring, and more so developers can focus on their apps. Since then, we’ve worked with many customers including Bosch, Digital Realty, FedEx, Kroger, Liantis, Morgan Stanley, National Life, Raley's, and Swiss Re…
This Week in Spring - May 23rd, 2023
Hi, Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! It's May 23rd and, famously, nothing major has happened in the last week OH WAIT WE RELEASED SPRING BOOT 3.1! Have you checked it out yet? It's dope. I did a Spring Tips installment looking at some of its features here that you might like.
Friends, we've got a ton of stuff to get into this week, so let's dive right into it!
- Spring Boot 3.1 is now available!
- If you want to learn all about Spring Boot 3.1 (and why wouldn't you?), watch this Spring Tips installment: Go fast with Spring Boot 3.1
- Spring Boot 3.0.7 available now, fixing CVE-2023-20883. There's also a Spring Boot 2.7x line fix for the same issue and one for Spring Boot 2.5
- Happy 28th birthday, Java!
- Tomorrow! I'll be doing a webinar with Marcus Hellberg over at Vaadin called Bootiful development with Spring Boot 3 and Vaadin
- Matt Raible's updated his article showing how to build a beautiful CRUD application with Spring Boot and Angular
- In last week's installment of A Bootiful Podcast, I talked to Grubhub's John Burns…
Spring Boot 3.1.0 available now
On behalf of the Spring Boot team and everyone that has contributed, I am pleased to announce that Spring Boot 3.1.0 has been released and is available from Maven Central.
This release adds a significant number of new features and improvements. For full upgrade instructions and new and noteworthy features please see the release notes.
What's new in 3.1
The highlights of the 3.1 release include:
- Support for managing external services at development time using Testcontainers and Docker Compose
- Simplified configuration of Testcontainers in integration tests
- Centralized and expanded configuration of SSL trust material for connections
- Auto-configuration for Spring Authorization Server …