Hi, Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! How’re you doing? I’m still fresh off my little vacation last week, feeling fantastic. I’ve spent the last several days working with Spring Boot and Spring Native and I have to tell you, they’re epic.
It’s gotten to the point where I sometimes spend time working on enabling Spring Native integrations for other projects - it really makes some third party abstractions come alive! It’s hard to know what the right comparison is. There’s not much you can do in this life that results in such an instantaneous, night-and-day difference in performance and memory profile with so few (user-visibile) changes. Imagine snapping your fingers and having your luxury hypercar (Spring Boot in this metaphor) transform into an equally capable, and very comfortable, rocket ship capable of interstellar travel. That’s the sort of paradigm shift implied by Spring Native. Or, at least it feels like that to me! What a wonderful time to be alive.
Last night (at 5am, my time!), I did a presentation for the JavaDay Istanbul conference. Remember: I’ve been on vacation. I never realized that the Spring Boot team had released Spring Boot 2.5.0. So, I gave this performance for the first time, with not a second of pre-flight or hesitation, using Spring Boot 2.5.0 and the newly minted Spring Native 0.10.0. It all worked flawlessly, with the only drawback that I was awkwardly waiting for certain Spring Boot dependencies to download, live, on the stream. Sometimes these things don’t go so swimmingly. Remember, Spring Native is technically experimental!
Anyway, we’ve got a ton to cover, so let’s dive right into it!
- Last week I spoke to developer advocate extraordinairre James Ward. He’s my mentor and friend and a hero in the Java community. Listen. You won’t be sorry. Here it is: A Bootiful Podcast, with James Ward
- This was cool to see: A Spring Boot tutorial
- A recipe to fix CSRF issues in Spring applications
- Check out this upcoming event: DVT TechTalk- Build a Spring Boot based microservice to Azure Spring Cloud Tickets, Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 11:00 AM | Eventbrite
- Wanna see me live? Don’t miss this performance of Cloud Native Java! It’s there. Just note the countdown timer and join me for that viewing.
- Not related to Spring, per se, but this is very interesting: Enabling Java: Windows on Arm64 – a Success Story!
- Improve your Spring Boot error handling
- Kai Tödter just released version 0.17.0 of JSON:API for Spring HATEOAS
- Baeldung has a nice, quick guide to Spring bean scopes
- the Okta Developer blog has a nice post, R2DBC and Spring for Non-Blocking Database Access : check it out!
- Spring Batch 4.2.7 and 4.3.3 are out!
- Spring Boot 2.4.6 available now
- Spring Boot 2.5 is now GA
- Spring Integration 5.5 goes GA
- Spring Integration for AWS 2.5 goes GA
- Spring and Isomorphic React 4: Render Data on the Server Side | Developing Software Together
- Don’t miss these Java sessions at Microsoft Build Conference. Expect exciting announcements! Register now - all free, all virtual.
- Both Java 11 and Java 16 builds of OpenJDK for x64 are GA. Java 16 builds for AArch64 (ARM64) are Early Access. Java 11 is a Long-Term Supported version until at least 2024.