Hi Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! We’ve just finished celebrating Labor Day here in the Long home, in San Francisco, in the US. It was a fun day spent with family and friends, and I wasn’t sure if I could have any more fun but it’s Tuesday, and you know what that means: another epic installment of This Week in Spring. I can’t believe we’re already in September, staring down the last few months of the year already! As usual, one of my favorite parts of the journey to the next year is the arrival of the epic SpringOne Platform show. This year is no different: I can’t wait to celebrate the show with friends in epic Austin, TX. Will you be there? Let me know!
The Spring Blog
Hi Spring fans! In this week’s episode I talk to Spring Cloud Data Flow legend Ilayaperumal Gopinathan (“Illaya”) about his journey to open-source, batch processing and messaging, integration, and Spring Cloud Data Flow, and so much more. Enjoy!
Hi Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! As I write this I’m in beautiful Bangalore, India, stuck in a monster of a traffic jam trying to make it to another meeting. I’m so elated to be here to connect with amazing people and organizations. I’m also excited that, this week, I’ll be speaking at the Bangalore Java User Group. Please, come out and say hi!
As usual, we’ve got a lot to cove so let’s get to it!
- I loved recording last week’s installment of A Bootiful Podcast wherein I got to talk to Google’s James Ward, Okta’s Matt Raible and Grand Cloud’s Ryan Knight on the Simplicity Continuum
- Spring Boot for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 1.1.0.RELEASE & 1.2.0.M1 Released!
- Collecting Custom Micrometer metrics has never been easier - Instana
- Deploying Spring Boot Applications - The Startup - Medium
- Smooth implementation of CQRS/ES with Spring Boot and Axon framework
- How To Keep the Layers of your Spring App Separate using Integration Tests - YouTube
- Spring Boot And Context Handling
- Pivotal has entered into an agreement to be accquired by VMWare
- Why should not use the AUTO JPA GenerationType with MySQL and Hibernate - Vlad Mihalcea
- The Baeldung blog has an interesting post on using JHipster (which is based on Spring Boot and which in turn uses Spring Security) to externally authenticate
A Bootiful Podcast: Google's James Ward, Okta's Matt Raible and Grand Cloud's Ryan Knight on the Simplicity Continuum
Hi Spring fans and welcome to another installment of a Bootiful Podcast! This week I had the pleasure of talking with Ryan Knight and with the two people with whom I am copresenting at SpringOne Platform 2019, James Ward and Matt Raible.
Hi Spring fans! I’m in delightful Denver and Boulder, Colorado, talking to customers and working with my buddies Matt Raible and James Ward on our Spring One Platform 2019 talk. It’s going to be amazing!
I’m oh-so-excited to be working on today’s roundup, as usual, because there’s a ton of good stuff to cover, so let’s get to it!
- Spring Cloud Hoxton.M2 Released
- Announcing Spring Cloud Stream Horsham.M3 (3.0.0.M3)
- Securing Services with Spring Cloud Gateway
- In last week’s episode of a A Bootiful Podcast, I interview Spring and Spring Boot teammate Brian Clozel about performance, RSocket, and so much more.
- Announcing Spring Cloud Function 3.0.0.M2
- Spring Boot for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 1.1.0.RC2 Released!
- Spring Session for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 2.1.5.RELEASE & 2.2.0.M3 Available!
- Spring Tools 4.3.2 released
- The amazing Toshiaki Making has a great post on doing application-side TLS termination with Kubernetes
- Congrats to the Vaadin team on releasing 14.0! Check out this list of the top 14 new features in Vaadin 14
- This Month in RabbitMQ
- Become a Cloud Foundry Certified Developer
- Set of JUnit Rule/Extension to easily load data to test your spring-data elasticsearch-based projects
- I like this video by Maciej Walkowiak on doing secrets rotation on AWS RDS
We are pleased to announce the third Milestone of the Spring Cloud Stream Horsham.M3 (3.0.0.M3).
NOTE: Spring Cloud Stream 3.0.0.M1/M2 was primarily to establish compatibility with Spring Boot 2.2.x. and therefore went unannounced.
Spring Cloud Stream Horsham.M3 (3.0.0.M3) modules are available for use in the Spring Milestone repository.
- Spring Boot 2.2.x
- Spring Cloud Function 3.0.0.M2
While we’re not (yet) deprecating
@EnableBinding, we are moving toward a simpler and more natural auto-configuration driven programming model.
So far in this series, we’ve covered Getting Started and Hiding Services with Spring Cloud Gateway. However, when we set about hiding our services, we didn’t secure them. In this article, we’ll correct this.
Hi, Spring fans! In this installment, Josh Long (@starbuxman) talks to Spring Boot and Spring Framework engineer Brian Clozel (@bclozel) about all the new features - RSocket support, performance improvements and more - in Spring Framework 5.2 and Spring Boot 2.2.
We are pleased to announce the second Milestone of the Spring Cloud Function 3.0.0.M2.
NOTE: Spring Cloud Function 3.0.0.M1 was primarily to establish compatibility with Spring Boot 2.2.x. and therefore went unannounced.
Spring Cloud Function 3.0.0.M2 modules are available for use in the Spring Milestone repository.
- Spring Boot 2.2.x
- Enhanced deployer (requires a separate blog)
One of the biggest features introduced with this milestone is support for functions with multiple inputs and outputs. Important thing to point out is that this feature only makes sense in reactive world where you may want to pass several streams to a function for purposes of doing some type of aggregate/merge operation on such streams. For conventional cases you can always send multiple arguments using a Collection of some type.
Hi Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of a This Week in Spring! I’ve just finished one of the most amazing experiences of my life - O’Reilly’s “Foo Camp,” an unconference where invited guests can camp on the O’Reilly Media campus headquarters and talk to each other. I met, among a zillion other people, former California governor Jerry Brown, former Estonian president Toomas Hendrik Ilves, and so many more. Now I’m in terrific Texas talking to our wonderful customers in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Plano. I’m also speaking at the Dallas MUG tomorrow night, if you’re around and want to come and hang out.