Hi, Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! I hope you’re all doing well, staying safe, taking socially distant walks every day to get some fresh air and exercise, and so on. I’m trying my best to stay sane. We just crossed into month three-under quarantine, having gone into quarantine on 11 March 2020. It’s pretty crazy to think about how slowly and quickly time has flown.
One of the things that makes me happy? Learning new things. This weekly roundup, This Week in Spring, has always been a lot of fun for me. It’s become even more of a privilege in the age of quarantine, having something to learn and soak up. I know that most of us will get through this, but I’ve been very keen on not letting this time go to waste for me. It’s exhausting to live under this quarantine. It’s exhausting to be anxious about things. I completely understand the instinct to want to just stay in bed until it all blows over. It’s completely normal. You’re allowed to be anxious, to worry, to feel despair. I have those days, too. But, I have found it helpful to try to plan activities with my family and to focus on backburner projects. And I find walking to be helpful. My condo’s gym is closed because of the coronavirus pandemic. I’ve nonetheless found walking, meditation, or really any fairly mindless activity, supports the process of learning. Anyway, that’s just me, friends.
If you’ve had particularly good success in the quarantine, I’d love to hear what’s worked for you. Sound off on Twitter (@starbuxman). Stay safe and healthy friends.
Alright, we’ve got a lot to get to so let’s get to it!
- Getting Started With RSocket: Servers Calling Clients
- Spring Cloud Task 2.3.0-M1 is now available!
- Spring Security OAuth2 Auto-config 2.3.0.RC1, 2.2.7, 2.1.14 Released
- A Bootiful Podcast: Spring and Java community member Eddú Meléndez on his journey to contributing to Spring
- Tanzu Observability by Wavefront Spring Boot Starter
- Spring Security 5.4.0-M1 Released
- Spring Boot 2.2.7 available now
- Spring Boot 2.1.14 available now
- End-of-Life for Spring Security OAuth
- Spring Tips: Season 7 Recap
- On a personal note, I am honored to have in the last week have been made a Google Developer Expert for Kotlin. It’s a recognition of my contributions to advocating Kotlin. I am humbled by the recognition. Thank you, community, for loving Kotlin as much as I do. I am already a Java Champion, and now a Google Developer Expert for Kotlin. If it was not obvious, I love the JVM ecosystem. I am one of the few Google GDE’s on Kotlin on the server-side, and that’s entirely because of the vibrant and wonderful community surrounding Spring and their use of Kotlin.
- JWT Authentication in Spring Boot Webflux - Jaiden Ashmore - Medium
- Take a look at how to add trace, logging, and prometheus monitoring to your application to extract essential metrics in Ray Tsang’s (@saturnism) #SpringLive session
- Want to learn more about @SpringData? Join @habuma at next week’s Denver and Boulder JUG meeting for a talk on Essential Spring!
- Have you seen the new VMWare Tanzu Developer center?
- Hi, my friends! I’ll be doing a presentation on Tuesday, June 9, 2020 for the Cloud DC meetup - please join me!.
- Develop Spring Boot Microservices on GCP with Spring Cloud GCP - a great talk by Ray Tsang
- I love this part of the SpringOne Platform 2019 keynote: "Originally [Netflix’s Java] libraries and frameworks were built in-house. I’m very proud to say, as of early 2019, we’ve moved our platform almost entirely over to Spring Boot.” -Taylor Wicksell, Senior Software Engineer Netflix
- Best Practices For Microservices on Kubernetes – Piotr’s TechBlog
- What you can expect at #SpringOne? Find out and sign up here
- Spring I/O on Twitter: "Our main conference has been postponed to October, but that’s too far away! 📣 Announcing SPRING I/O BRIDGE, a one-day free virtual event for the Spring community. 🗓15th May @ 9am CEST 👉 Register here: https://t.co/vxJT3b
- How to visualize a Spring Integration graph with Neo4j?
- Reactive Architectures with RSocket and Spring Cloud Gateway
- Check out this Spring Boot Starter for monitoring your Spring apps with Instana.
- Tanzu Observability for Wavefront delivers scalable observability as a service where Spring developers can build analytics-driven dashboards based on multi-sourced data including metrics, traces, histograms, and span logs.
- We couldn’t go on tour but we’re still bringing the best cloud native Java content. Join us as we kick off the #SpringOneTour virtually. Sign up here for free
- How the Open Source Community Around Kubernetes Flourished
- This is super cool - a Spring Initializr for Alibaba Cloud and Alibab’s OSS: http://start.aliyun.com
- Running Spring Boot apps as GraalVM Native Images - codecentric AG Blog
- It’s the EOL for Spring Security OAuth. (This refers to the separate standalone project called Spring Security OAuth, not to the integration for OAuth in Spring Security 5 and later.)